Saturday, September 24, 2011

Going Retro, Baby!!

When we sold our home and decided to rent something smaller, it gave me the opportunity to change up my style a bit.  We had to get different furniture because our old furniture was way too big to fit.  Fortunately, I was able to find some awesome deals on used furniture!  Especially the fun things that we were able to get from my husbands grandparents home.  Not only are they special to us, I absolutely love the style of them.  Later, when I finally get the room all together, I will show it all.  For now, I will just show the latest project I finished with one of the fantastic finds.....

I first found these great lamp shades at Stewart's grandparents...they needed some work but the size and style was perfect for the look I was going for!
This picture is after I removed the band that went around the edges so that when I covered them, the fabric would be smoother.



Then, I found these great lamps at a thrift store for $10 each.  They were the perfect size for the shades!


I kinda wanted to keep the brass look so I tried to clean them but it just didn't work.  I cleaned and cleaned but....nothing.  So, I decided to paint them.  

First step, primer...


Next, I sprayed them with a robin egg blue color and covered the shades with a grey linen-like fabric.  That was definitely a lot of work.  The shades were so big to try to handle.  I covered one by myself but got some help from my 
mom-in-law on the second one.  

I am sooooo thrilled with how they turned out and can't wait to finish the room so I can reveal it all together!









No comments:

Post a Comment