Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Finally...Drawers!!! The Dresser Re-Do

When we moved, all of our master bedroom furniture was too large for the new place so it had to go.  Thankfully, the people who purchased our home decided to purchase the whole set!  Jackpot!!  We didn't even have to deal with trying to sale it or move it!!  Then came the challenge to replace it....without spending much anything. It did not take us long to grow tired of living out of boxes in our closets and all around our floor.  But,  I certainly didn't want to have to buy a new bedroom suit for a temporary place.  As we were moving in, someone (I think my sister-in-law) gave me the idea of using this solid white chest-of-drawers that I had stuck in my son's closet for extra storage.  It was actually my mom's, who had used it with us as babies.  So, after making sure it was okay with her for me to paint it, I tried to decide what I was going to do with it.  I remembered seeing a dresser on a blog that had used a stencil to add a design to the front.  Luckily, I had bought a pretty stencil for a project that never happened before we sold the old house.  So, with my friend Tina's help, we got to work!  It was a very simple process.  Unfortunately, I did not take before pics but just remember that it was solid white with white knobs.  

                                                                         SUPPLIES...

AND...

AND MY FAVORITE...

Pretty much, we lightly sanded with the sanding block just to smooth out some of the old paint.  Next, we wiped down with a clean cloth.  Then, we painted all over with black glossy interior/exterior paint...2 coats.  Once that dried, we used the nifty Stencil Spray Adhesive to make the stencil stick to the dresser without pulling off the paint.  You can move it around and it will still stick...love it!!  We used my white craft acrylic paint and a stencil brush to paint on the stencil.  Last, we spray painted the knobs metallic and then sprayed them with a coat of lacquer spray just to shine them up a bit. 
Total cost for paint, sanding block and spray adhesive (I had all of the other supplies on hand!)= $16.00


FINISHED PRODUCT


Yayyyy!!!  We have drawers!!! 
Well, at least I do....still working on something for hubby's things ;)






                                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the simple elegance of this dresser. You did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and I am going to feature it tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete